The EBLEX Better Returns Programme (BRP) encourages English beef and sheep producers to evaluate their businesses to identify where improvements can be made in terms of cost reduction, environmental impact and animal performance.
BRP skills and knowledge transfer work is carried out through a programme of direct communication with livestock producers combined with practical, free events across England, backed up by a range of informative literature and other resources.
The programme is funded mainly by EBLEX and backed by industry wide beef and sheep steering groups.
The programme focuses on the following key areas:
Better Returns Programme contacts
- Breeding - Using Estimated Breeding Values (EBVs) when selecting sires can add value and improve performance. BRP explains EBVs and gives guidance on traits and breeding strategies. Further information can be found at Signet Breeding Services
- Selection for slaughter - BRP activity equips producers with the skills to improve their returns by selecting animals for specific market requirements and ensuring they meet target specification
- Health and fertility - BRP addresses a wide range of health and fertility issues including bull/ram performance, parasite control and effective flock/herd health programmes
- Nutrition and forage - Improved grazing management and ration control can significantly reduce feed costs - BRP events and information can help producers realise these savings
- Systems and costings - BRP activity aims to promote a thorough understanding of enterprise costings and performance, including the use of simple management tools.
For general BRP enquiries email BRP
or call 0870 241 8829.
For enquiries about BRP events email BRP events
or call 0870 609 1840. You can also view the events calendar
for details of current activities.